Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Day with Daddy


Yesterday Laurie headed off with a small group of ladies from church to the Women of Faith conference in Philadelphia. She left at 8:30 AM and returned at about 11:00 PM. As if that wasn't enough, Laurie is back for more of the conference today. Even though I joked with her about leaving me all day with the kids, I am really glad that she was able to get away to be refreshed in God's Word and spend quality time with friends. If the truth be told, Laurie doesn't get to do this sort of thing enough. (Though, sweetheart, "enough" doesn't mean that this should become a weekly occurrence!)

I like to try to keep it "light" on Saturdays at "The Daily Difference". So, I thought I'd share with you a little bit about what happened between the hours of 8:30 AM and 11:00 PM. The kids were really awesome...for most of the day. (Seriously, God has given us some incredible children. They have their moments but, for the most part, they are an "A++".) I think I managed to keep within the spirit of the law regarding Jonah's daily ten-bullet-point itinerary. I remembered to change the boys' diapers at least once (just kidding, babe). Meal times were a little rough but I managed to get some food in them while juggling the baby. I now have a renewed appreciation for what is every mother's favorite time of day: nap time. Some of the major blunders included Gabbie's Valdez-like "leak" which covered the majority of the bathroom floor, my first try at making Jonah's bottles (let's hope that was thirteen scoops and not twelve...again, just kidding, dear), and Jonah's refusal to take his early evening nap. On the bright side, we did get out of the house for some errands. I'd say that all things considering it was a pretty successful day!

It's days like yesterday that remind you about what truly matters most in life. One day I'm going to look back longingly on days like these. Not everyone gets to roll around on the floor with giggling children. There's actually something quite special about having to change your shirt three times in one day due to baby spit-up. Unfortunately, sometimes we dads live to work rather than working to live. The only way that yesterday could have been any better is if Laurie was right there with me to enjoy it. (Oh, and please pray that Laurie hurries home today...!)

Psalm 127:3 says, "Sons are a heritage from the LORD, children a reward from him."

Take a moment today to stop and soak in the little glimmers of God's daily grace. What are you grateful for?

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely thankful for a husband and daddy who is more than capable of taking care of our three precious children without breaking a sweat. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of Women of Faith, babe. You are superdad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have great kids, and for their sake I pray that Laurie doesn't leave all day too often(only kidding). your family was a blessing to me and I am grateful for the time that I was able to spend with you and your family this past summer. Maybe a Thursday night would work for a visit sometime soon?

    ReplyDelete