Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Great Secret

"I WANT MORE!"

Have you ever heard these words from a child? (Have you ever caught yourself saying these words to yourself!) There seems to be something innate in us that craves more than what we currently possess. Do you find that to be true?

In actuality, there seems to be a fine line between being a malcontent and having a healthy dose of initiative. When is enough truly enough? How do we properly control our ambitions and drive for "success"?

Contentment. This is a strange word in our culture. For many, contentment is misunderstood as being "complacent". Isn't it a good thing to be content with one's home, a car, a job? Let's get this straight: contentment is a good thing, being complacent may be a problem.

I read these lines this morning:
"As a rule, man's a fool. When it's hot, he wants it cool. And when it's cool, he wants it hot. Always wanting what is not." - unknown

The Bible gives a great answer to man's problem with contentment. In Philippians 4:11-13, the Apostle Paul writes, "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." That is one terrific secret! CHRIST is the answer for CONTENTMENT in every CIRCUMSTANCE!

How are you in this area? Are you struggling with contentment in your home life...work life...church life? Check your motives. Why do you want more? Is it to glorify God, or is to keep up with the next guy? Remember, Jesus Christ is the source of finding true freedom to peace and contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment