Saturday, June 4, 2011

Set the Example


The Apostle Paul wrote to his young protege in ministry:
If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed...For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe. Command and teach these things. Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity...Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. Practice these things, devote yourself to them, so that all may see your progress (1 Timothy 4:6, 10-12, 14-15).
I am really proud of my brother. Tim serves as the minister of music and director of youth ministries at Oak Street Baptist Church in our hometown of Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee. (Now, I know what some of you are thinking...but I better not catch anyone making fun of the name of my hometown!)

Tim has such a heart for the Lord, for teens, and for his church. The past year has been especially difficult for Tim and the Oak Street family as they lost their beloved pastor, Joe Miller, to cancer back in January. Tim and I have had numerous opportunities to talk and pray about the challenges that present themselves to the church when a beloved leader goes to be with the Lord. It will shortly be one year since our own friend and elder, Danny Offenbacker, realized the eternal reward of his faith despite a harsh battle with cancer.

While I certainly haven't been a mentor to Tim, I am so blessed to have watched his growth over the past few years. Tim is pouring his life into young people and into teaching his church about God-exalting worship for the honor of Jesus. I know from personal experience how difficult and challenging ministry can be (and especially ministry to teens!), and so I find myself praying almost daily for my brother to stand strong for the Lord and to set an example for his church.

Tomorrow, Tim will be preaching at his church. He sent me his manuscript to get my thoughts and it was a really powerful message. Would you pray along with me for God to anoint Tim in a special way as he speaks God's Word to God's people tomorrow? May God be glorified in a great way!

1 comment: