Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sanctity of Human Life

Tomorrow is Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. We will be challenged from God's Word about the dignity and value of life, as well as our personal responsibility to be engaged in the "silent struggle". Today I wanted to share a few verses and other thoughts that have come up during my preparation for tomorrow's service. May these challenge you to action for those who are hurting or helpless.

"Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness...So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." - Genesis 1:26-27

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; you works are wonderful, I know that full well." - Psalm 139:13-14

"Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. If you say, 'But we knew nothing about this,' does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?" - Proverbs 24:11-12



There is a little guy waiting to appear
Curled up inside his mother's protective atmosphere.
He's the one they didn't plan on, an extra mouth to feed
A little inconvenience neither of them need.

He's doctor's bills and formulas, He's sleepless nights and stress,
He's wet and dirty diapers in a house that's a mess.
He could have been a newer car or a cabin with a view.
Or a cruise or clothes or fancy shows or other dreams come true.

So they talk about abortion as the alternative
For that fetal imposition--he would change the way they live.
He isn't really human. He doesn't even breath.
He's just a misadventure they happened to conceive.

They sit there in the waiting room with papers they must fill,
The waivers and consent forms, the arrangements for the bill.
They know it's what they have to do, there is no other way,
But once or twice they wonder, what this little guy might say.

"I wish you wouldn't do this, I've got so much to do,
I have to learn to walk and learn and tie my shoe.
I have to learn to whistle, I have to learn to run,
I have to learn to say my prayers when the day is done.

I have to watch for daddy with mama at the door,
I have to ride in carts when they take me to the store.
I have to blow out candles on a lot of birthday cakes,
And pose for all the pictures that mommy always takes.

But if you let them do this, I'll never learn to wave.
I'll never have a birthday, I won't even have a grave.
I'll never play a game, I'll never laugh or cry
I won't even have a name and I'll always wonder why."

- Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment